Want to send us your poems outside of the open reading period? Well, you can do that, but to keep things moving we have to charge $5 per submission. Please note that our open reading periods are open in November and April but responses will take 3-4 months.
We will typically respond to these submissions within 3-4 weeks, but times may be extended depending on other circumstances.
- Please only send 5 poems per submission window! Pace yourself, kiddo, because you can submit a fresh batch each time!
- Upload your poetry submissions as .doc/.docx attachment to our Poetry Postmaster General. Other file types (.pdf, .jpeg, .png, .omg??!) will not be considered and will bum us out!
- Actually, while you're attaching those great poems, why don't you send us a brief author bio. We want to know more about you! You can send some jokes too (we love jokes).
- Multiple submissions are fine, but please notify Red Flag Poetry if your work has been accepted elsewhere first.
- All poems will be considered for both Red Flag Poetry Postcards, AND Poetry Express. Longer poems will (because postcards prevent longer poems) only be considered for Poetry Express
Do you draw, sketch, paint, or photograph? Red Flag is interested in using your work on our postcards. All art is welcome and will be selected based on fit with the given poem. Please send high quality images as a .tiff or .jpg file to us at our submission manager.
Unfortunately we can't pay for art at this time, but all accepted artists will receive two complimentary copies of the postcard with their art mailed to them for their contribution.
Timelines for art vary because we are primarily a poetry journal. That means that we cannot accept a piece of art before we have the poem. That means the timeline for acceptance or rejection can be long. Please feel free to contact us with questions.
We're looking to publish another chapbook chapbooks this fall. Unfortunately, due to time constraints we are unable to read every amazing poem in each submission. When submitting your work for consideration, we ask that you send a 150-200 word proposal detailing the purpose and general scope of your project. Along with this brief proposal please send the full MS but identify 5 poems from the larger work that best represents your submission. This will help get an idea about your work. Please consider purchasing one of our other chapbooks to see what we're about before submitting.
Your chapbook should be 15-40 pages in length. We look for poems that engage the world in interesting and innovative ways. We want to explore your world with unique and descriptive language.
Please submit the document in times new roman size 12
Note, the small submission fee for submitting chapbook proposals goes to supporting the project.
If your chapbook is selected, it will be published in the fall/winter of 2023/2024. Selected poet will receive a number of copies as compensation.