Want to send us your poems outside of the open reading period? Well, you can do that, but to keep things moving we have to charge $4 per submission. Please note that our open reading periods are open in November and April but responses will take 3-4 months.
We will typically respond to these submissions within 3-4 weeks, but times may be extended depending on other circumstances.
- Please only send 5 poems per submission window! Pace yourself, kiddo, because you can submit a fresh batch each time!
- Upload your poetry submissions as .doc/.docx attachment to our Poetry Postmaster General. Other file types (.pdf, .jpeg, .png, .omg??!) will not be considered and will bum us out!
- Actually, while you're attaching those great poems, why don't you send us a brief author bio. We want to know more about you! You can send some jokes too (we love jokes).
- Multiple submissions are fine, but please notify Red Flag Poetry if your work has been accepted elsewhere first.
- All poems will be considered for both Red Flag Poetry Postcards, AND Poetry Express. Longer poems will (because postcards prevent longer poems) only be considered for Poetry Express
Do you draw, sketch, paint, or photograph? Red Flag is interested in using your work on our postcards. All art is welcome and will be selected based on fit with the given poem. Please send high quality images as a .tiff or .jpg file to us at our submission manager.
Unfortunately we can't pay for art at this time, but all accepted artists will receive two complimentary copies of the postcard with their art mailed to them for their contribution.
Timelines for art vary because we are primarily a poetry journal. That means that we cannot accept a piece of art before we have the poem. That means the timeline for acceptance or rejection can be long. Please feel free to contact us with questions.