Please send us a polished, previously unpublished chapbook of between 15-45 poems that highlights your best work and a brief 200 word abstract that articulates the chapbooks purpose and function.
Although we like a lot of different poetry, we tend to gravitate to poems that deliver the reader to an experience in clear, pithy language. We want to be moved with you. Check out the work we've previously published by visiting RedFlagPoetry.com
The winner of this contest will receive a $100 prize and will be published this winter.
Interested in receiving personalized feedback on your submission? Check out the option below!
Want to send us your poems outside of the open reading period? Well, you can do that, but to keep things moving we have to charge $3 per submission. Please note that our open reading periods are open in November and April but responses will take 3-4 months.
We will typically respond to these submissions within 3-4 weeks.
- Please only send 3 poems per submission window! Pace yourself, kiddo, because you can submit a fresh batch each time!
- Upload your poetry submissions as .doc/.docx attachment to our Poetry Postmaster General. Other file types (.pdf, .jpeg, .png, .omg??!) will not be considered and will bum us out!
- Actually, while you're attaching those great poems, why don't you send us a brief author bio. We want to know more about you! You can send some jokes too (we love jokes).
- Multiple submissions are fine, but please notify Red Flag Poetry if your work has been accepted elsewhere first.
- All poems will be considered for both Red Flag Poetry Postcards, AND Poetry Express. Longer poems will (because postcards prevent longer poems) only be considered for Poetry Express
Unfortunately we can't pay for art at this time, but all accepted artists will receive two complimentary copies of the postcard with their art mailed to them for their contribution.